Love built on beauty, soon as beauty, dies. – John Donne
Marriage is a very serious and life-long holy commitment that should not be entered lightly. Here are some of the wrong reasons you should not get married to someone for:
- Don’t get married just because you feel sorry for the person or because the person ‘needs you.
- Don’t get married because it has been a very long relationship and now it is “too late” to end it and start afresh.
- Don’t just get married because there are strong emotional attachments because there has been too much physical involvement such as sexual intercourse.
- Don’t get married because you think there’s no one else and you feel that this could be your last chance or that losing this one may mean a long wait.
- Don’t get married just because not getting married will be embarrassing and It will be traumatic.
- Don’t get married just because you are “in love”, young, romantic and in an exciting and unfamiliar environment.
- Don’t get married as a way to get away from your parents and your family
- Don’t just get married because you want the glamour, popularity or money that is associated with the person you hope to marry.
- Don’t get married because you are bored or lonely.
- Don’t get married if it comes from a desire to escape and rebel or a desire to defeat and hurt.
- Don’t get married just because you feel jealous of your age mates or possessive of your partner and you want to take them “off-market”
- Don’t just get married because you want to ‘find yourself.’
- Don’t just get married because you want to prop yourself up emotionally.
Always get married when you are mature, ready and for the right reasons!